Monday, January 12, 2009

Punching Bag

22 weeks, 0 days

Yesterday, SG felt her kick! What an exciting moment that was! I had been laying in bed and started feeling some kicks about 2 inches above my belly button. So, I put my hand on the area and WHAM! There was no mistaking that was our little girl. So, I called out to SG and he came a runnin' . And wouldn't you know it, once he got his hand on my tummy, she kicked him really hard. Hellooooo Daddy! I loved seeing the look on SG's face and hearing the glee come out of him as he yelled, "Oh My God! I felt that!" His eyes were the size of saucers and his face was beaming. It was a moment I don't think I'll ever forget.

Her kicking has definitely been more consistent, and I'm feeling her every day. Today, she must have been napping for a while (as was I). But, she woke up around 6pm and decided to check out the joint, moving around, kicking, and taking in the scenery.

We had a bit of a scare last Thursday. At about 7:30 pm, I started getting some slight cramping. It didn't feel like contractions, but more like period cramping....achy and lots of spasms. It was getting a little stronger over time and I didn't say anything to SG until it started getting worse.

At close to 8pm, we were surprised by a good jolt of an earthquake! (It was based over 30 miles away in San Bernardino, but we felt it pretty good here). Then at about 8:15, the cramps starting getting bad enough that I couldn't keep it a secret any longer. I started getting alarmed when some of the cramping started showing up in my lower back. We both got online to figure out if we should do anything about it. And then, I called my doctor. The on call Dr. said to wait for a bit. If the cramping still wasn't gone in about an hour, we should go straight to the hospital. Well, it didn't get better. And so by 9:45 pm, we were on our way to the Labor & Delivery Dept. and checked into Triage for monitoring.

The cramping had different phases of intensity, but seemed to be getting a little better over time. They had me hooked up on 2 monitors and a blood pressure cuff. We could hear our little girl's heart beat loud and clear, until she didn't like all the noise and kept repositioning herself. They also were monitoring me for contractions. Nothing was showing up, but the L&D nurses insisted that at 21 weeks, you can have contractions that won't show up on their monitors because they are so light. So, I had to stay. I was even given an injection of a muscle relaxer to see if the cramping would stop. My back pain stopped very quickly, but the abdominal cramping never quite went away. They even checked my cervix to make sure it wasn't dilating. (Not a great experience having a 300 lb nurse sticking her gloved fingers way up inside you and feeling around. LOL) By 2:30 am, I was sent home to rest and told to come back if anything progressed.

I went to sleep by 3:30 am, with the cramping still going on. The next day, both SG and I were exhausted. But, upon waking, I was pleased to find the cramping had ceased. I had a little bit start up again that evening, but it went away pretty quickly. That was such a relief! And, nothing has occurred since.

Lastly, I had my Endocrinology appt. today. All looks good. No need to change my thyroid meds just yet. I had a surge of something going on in my body at the time, because my heart rate was a whopping 110 bpm while sitting. My doctor made note of it and said he wants me to keep an eye on it. I think I was just tired and had a little bit of the "white coat syndrome" at the time. My resting HR has been anywhere from 80-103 over the last few weeks. So, the 110 was not a usual occurrence.

No comments: